Friday, May 24, 2013

Chapter 1

This chapter talked about the imortance of a middle school or junior high for young adolescents. It discussed different ways to incorporate middle schools (ex: school within a school). It also talked about the differences between middle schools and junior high schools. I found that reading about this was very interesting. I did not know that there was a difference between middle schools and junior high schools. I thought the names were interchangeable, except for the fact that sometimes middle schools have fifth and sixth grade as well. I also did not know how different their focuses were. Chapter 1 also discussed the importance of a mission statement and a vision statement and gave examples of each.
Chapter 1 also talked about the different types of schools. I did not know that there were that many different schools. I had heard of charter schools and magnet schools, but I had never heard of a full-service school or an International Baccalaureate Middle school. It also talked about that schools could be a combination of the different types of schools (for example, it could be a charter magnet school). I like how schools can combine types to find a type of school that best meets the school district's needs.

3 comments:

  1. Katherine Getz: Laura, I thought Chapter 1 was enlightening as well. I had previously shared the same belief with you about the similarities between middle and junior high schools. I was shocked to find that they were so different! Also, I was curious if your school district back home has any charter or magnet schools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they do. My school district was very small, and I am almost positive that every school was just a public school. I do know that a neighboring school district had several charter and magnet schools. There were also several private schools in neighboring towns to mine.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete