Friday, May 31, 2013

Chapter 4

This chapter focused on an essential element of teaching-classroom management. If classroom management and discipline is not there, it is impossible for the classroom to run effectively. It is necessary to have rules in your classroom and be consistent in them from day 1. I am a daycare teacher and I learned very quickly that if you are not consistent with the rules, the classroom cannot run well. This is because students never know what is expected out of them. My coordinating teacher for my field experience stressed the importance of this. She told me that it is important to establish the rules right away and be consistent with them instead of gradually easing into the rules. She said that this way the students know what is expected from the very beginning. I liked what the authors wrote about rules in the classroom. A summary of what was written is this: do not have too many rules, only have the rules that are essential and then add rules as needed. I think that this is very important to do, because you do not want to overwhelm the kids with rules.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is important to not overwhelm students with rules, yet you must be consistent with them. I think this also means that a teacher should model those rules. The fact that a classroom should have fewer rules, makes each one that much more meaningful and easier to remember. I agree that students should know what is expected of them from the beginning, so they do not get confused, overwhelmed, or think that the teacher is going to let the students do whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete